[f-nsp] XMR Temperature sensors

Harry Lewins Harry.Lewins at hso.uk.com
Thu Mar 31 07:20:09 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

Wondering if you could give me a bit of steer here... We have multiple
XMR-4s and 16s in our core, and we pretty varied temperatures on them,
despite them all being in temperature controlled data centres etc.

Within this, we also see massive differences on the individual sensors.
For example, an XMR-4:-

SLOT #:       CARD TYPE:     SENSOR #    TEMPERATURE (C):

     33        ACTIVE MG        1            35.500C

     33        ACTIVE MG        2            48.500C

     34       STANDBY MG       1           38.500C

     1           LP            1            36.500C

     1           LP            2            55.625C

     2           LP            1            49.500C

     2           LP            2            72.0C

SNM #     FE #      TEMPERATURE (C):

    1       N/A      34.0C

    2       N/A      35.5Ce

One sensor is over 72 degrees!

This XMR-16 varies from 35 to 59 degrees:-

SLOT #:       CARD TYPE:     SENSOR #    TEMPERATURE (C):

     33        ACTIVE MG        1            42.0C

     33        ACTIVE MG        2            61.250C

     34       STANDBY MG       1           36.500C

     1           LP            1            47.500C

     1           LP            2            46.500C

     2           LP            1            39.0C

     2           LP            2            43.500C

     3           LP            1            43.0C

     3           LP            2            45.0C

     4           LP            1            40.500C

     4           LP            2            48.500C

     5           LP            1            44.500C

     5           LP            2            48.500C

     6           LP            1            40.0C

     6           LP            2            42.250C

     7           LP            1            45.500C

     7           LP            2            46.500C

     8           LP            1            37.500C

     8           LP            2            38.500C

     9           LP            1            43.500C

     9           LP            2            59.0C

     15           LP            1            49.0C

     15           LP            2            51.250C

     15           LP            3            UNUSED

     16           LP            1            43.0C

     16           LP            2            42.0C

     16           LP            3            UNUSED

SNM #     FE #      TEMPERATURE (C):

    1       N/A      42.0C

    2       N/A      35.0C

    3       N/A      38.5C

This XMR-4 varies from 29.5 to over 60 degrees...

SLOT #:       CARD TYPE:     SENSOR #    TEMPERATURE (C):

     33        ACTIVE MG        1            29.500C

     33        ACTIVE MG        2            41.125C

     1           LP            1            33.0C

     1           LP            2            47.875C

     2           LP            1            42.0C

     2           LP            2            60.250C

SNM #     FE #      TEMPERATURE (C):

    1       N/A      27.0C

    2       N/A      29.5C

I could go on, but I guess you get the point! I'm just wondering if this
is normal - obviously I would expect some variation in the readings,
depending on where the sensor is in the chassis, how populated it is,
what cards are in it, how busy those cards are etc. But this seems very
high, and indeed temperatures over 70 degrees sound like a bad thing to
me...

Do you guys see similar temperatures? Initially we were monitoring all
these sensors with SNMP and freaking out every time one went over 60
degrees, but we've scaled that back a bit now. Do you guys just monitor
the cooler sensor? That is our current plan.

Does anyone know at what temperature we would start seeing a degraded
performance? I'm waiting on our supplier to give me some documentation
on this, but just wondered if you guys have real world experience.

Thanks for your help,

Harry