[f-nsp] Specifying an LSP within a VLL

Eric Helm helmwork at ruraltel.net
Thu Feb 9 09:03:46 EST 2012

On 2/9/2012 7:08 AM, James Paussa wrote:
> I was wondering what everyone's workarounds were to achieve binding a
> VLL to a LSP, essentially the equivalent of:
>  vpls-peer <ip-address> lsp <lsp1> [<lsp2> <lsp3> <lsp4>]
> except for a VLL?

I'm told this will be available in a future software release... perhaps 5.3?

For now, the behavior of a VLL is to use any of the available LSPs to
the remote peer:

"If there are multiple tunnel LSPs that can be used to reach the VLL
peer, the PE router selects one of the tunnel LSPs by using a
round-robin method."

As a workaround, to force a VLL to use a specific LSP, you could use COS
matching:

"You can optionally specify a Class of Service (COS) setting for the
VLL. If a COS value is set, the device selects a tunnel LSP that also
has this COS value, if one is available. If no tunnel LSP with this COS
value is available, the device selects a tunnel LSP with the highest
configured COS value (although never higher than the COS setting for the
VLL)."

/Eric