[f-nsp] Enabling ipv6 on J-BxGMR4

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 15:50:20 EST 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Nick Gray wrote:

> That is indeed unfortunate as all of our equipment is purchased from
> third parties. Seems that is the way they get you with those contracts.
> Its surprising ipv6 isn't supported by default. Alas, I will wait for a
> kind soul to provide personal help.

Foundry/Brocade's attitude to ipv6 has never been good over all the years
in my experience.

Even now, if I want "advanced features" like IPv6 on modern kit like the
F-CX, I have to pay an additional premium which on the last quote I had
nearly doubled the cost of the switch.  I sent a very long ranty email to
my Brocade contact about how disgraceful it was and so on and so forth,
and said he was free to pass on my comments to whoever.  I didn't really
expect a response, and I wasn't disappointed.

Even these days I'm not quite sure what the situation is with various
models we were told were "ready for IPv6" years ago, but turns out they
need upgrades/premium code, did it in software not hardware, blah blah.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.