[f-nsp] QinQ on FLS

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Wed Mar 21 08:33:14 EDT 2012

     Well,

     As a Metro provider, trying to find devices to offer 802.1ad at the
customer (CE's) is a pricey proposition...
     ( Our pipes can pass thru anything from dark fiber to cup&string
links )

     The way the vendor are separating the 802.1ad, 802.1ah and MPLS
features from the 802.1Q is getting annoying.

     Beside MPLS, the other are quite static in term of setup and from
my experience with FPGA, this shouldn't be a stopping block.

     Right now the cheapest device for a CE is a Cisco ME3400EG ( 4 x
1Gbps ) at ~$4k each :( while 28 ports 10Gb switches only cost ~$7k.

     PS: As for MPLS, the ~$10k tax most Vendor ask to have it in Core
devices is sickening...

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443