[f-nsp] Datacenter Interconnect

Igor Ybema foundry-nsp at ergens.org
Sun May 27 04:43:05 EDT 2012

Hi Kurt,
A common method I see some ISP's doing lately is to connect two
switches on each side seperatly with each other.
Something like this:

SA1 ===== SB1

SA2 ===== SB2

No stack or interconnection between the switches in the core at the same site.

Then you install VPLS or simple q-in-q's from each port of each core
switch to the same port on the other core switch in the other site.
This will give you a sort of 'long line' patch panel. Port 1 on site A
is port 1 on site B.

Redundancy is then created on the access layer. You can use for
example spanningstree or dynamic trunks (lacp short). Just make sure
you are using active protocols which can detect the failure of the
line between the datacentres as your access switches will not receive
a link down notice.

regards, Igor