[f-nsp] Cannot ping VRRP IP when backup active

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Mon May 14 18:50:30 EDT 2012

* sraymond at acedatacenter.com (Steven Raymond) [Mon 14 May 2012, 23:53 CEST]:
>On May 14, 2012, at 2:31 PM, Niels Bakker wrote:
>>Add 'ip address 10.99.99.1/22 secondary' to the backup router's
>>ve205 for that.
>
>Good suggestion, but they outfoxed me:
>
>telnet at router(config-vif-205)#ip address 10.99.99.1 255.255.252.0 secondary
>IP/Port: Errno(13) Backup VRRP router already uses this IP address

That's the config I have on my XMRs...

Have you tried shutting the ve on the backup, disabling VRRP, adding
the address, enabling VRRP and re-enabling the interface?

>I am "okay" with the other suggestions that the ping problem is
>according to RFC standards.  Just wonder why that would be
>considered useful, if indeed required by spec.

Yeah it is, the original RFC specifies that no traffic to the VRRP
address should be accepted at all.  Generates lots of support calls of
the "I can't ping my default gateway!" variety, though, so this was
changed for VRRP-E and plenty vendors already ignored it for VRRP
(HSRP also replied to pings).

	-- Niels.