[f-nsp] Tagged interfaces

Josh Farrelly Josh.Farrelly at manukau.ac.nz
Thu Oct 4 20:42:16 EDT 2012

Sub-interfaces only really apply to router type devices. They refer to logical ports (i.e. VLANS) arriving on a single physical port.

VLAN configuration in the traditional sense usually applies more to switches, where you're assigning certain ports to VLANs and setting them as trunks or access ports .etc

So to answer your question, they're almost the same thing — It just depends in which context you're referring to them. Don't get confused by the terminology :)

Kind Regards,

Josh Farrelly
Infrastructure Architect, ICTS.
Manukau Institute of Technology