[f-nsp] Internal vs External routing on an MLX

Jimmy Stewpot mailers at oranged.to
Sun Aug 11 21:50:30 EDT 2013

Hello,

We currently have an internal backbone with redundancy.. we use private AS full mesh eBGP internally which has been working really well for a very long time. The problem that I have is we are about to move to a redundant inernet connection which can only be povided using HSRP by our provider. (our network has been colocated for some time.. we are just turning on an interet connection to our second MLX).

I am having trouble visualising what that will look like so that we can actually leverage the dual connections in a fail-over scenario.. The initial thought was to have a vlan that spans both "external" interfaces with a static route on both devices pointing to the destination.. my thought was that it would only have the MAC for the HSRP gateway on the active connection so outbound traffic would go across the inter-connection and out to the system.. Having never used HRSP I am hoping that someone can give me some light on what that topology woudl look like and if it would work.. also is it "best practise"?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy.