[f-nsp] Internal vs External routing on an MLX

Eldon Koyle esk-puck.nether.net at esk.cs.usu.edu
Mon Aug 12 13:09:13 EDT 2013

HSRP is a Cisco-proprietary protocol, so your routers won't support it.
They do support the similar (but incompatible) VRRP.

Whether VRRP would work depends a little bit on how you will be
connected to the ISP.  If both of your MLXes will be connected to some
sort of switch which is connected to both of their redundant routers,
this would work the way you described.  Basically, all of the devices
involved with VRRP or HSRP would need to be on the same L2 domain.
Their cisco devices can talk HSRP, but you will also have to set up VRRP
on your end (otherwise, if the router with the IP address they are
routing to goes down, you still lose your internet connection).

Spanning a VLAN between your two MLXes would work if there isn't a
switch in the middle somewhere.  This could have unexpected behavior if
the link between the two MLXes were ever to fail, however.

HSRP/VRRP makes more sense when you want to have more than one router
able to take over being the default gateway for a switched network.  It
seems kind of icky to me to use it on a routed link (that's just my
uninformed opinion, though).

I would personally prefer to run BGP with your MLXes directly connected
to the provider's two routers as it has the least amount of stuff in
between that could go wrong.  It is possible that your ISP cannot
support that (if you are connected to a device that doesn't support BGP,
for instance).

--
Eldon Koyle
Information Technology