[f-nsp] CAM limit on MLX

Mike Allen mkallen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 20:41:40 EST 2013

Alex, there are a couple of reasons.  The mgmt module sets the
'personality' of the chassis.  Brocade is working towards a more universal
module, which is then license-able up for more capabilities.  This will
eventually simplify sparing, testing, etc.  To get back to the original
discussion, there are -M and -X line cards.  If you have a -M mgmt module,
then you can use either -X or -M line cards, and they will revert down and
function to the -M or MLX specs.  If you have a -X mgmt module, then only
-X modules will work, -M modules will not boot.  The MLX or -M have a lot
of uses, typically as enterprise or DC core, so the lower route's/CAM, etc,
are not a factor, and it allows customers to save money.

Mike