[f-nsp] NI-MLX-10Gx8-D falls to CARD_STATE_INTERACTIVE mode

Wilbur Smith wsmith at brocade.com
Thu Jul 4 18:52:33 EDT 2013

Hello Folks,
Using auto lp-syc is a good improvement over the previous methods of upgrading a line card, but there are times it may not do the trick. Because the management modules also use an FPGA (the mbridge) to communicate with the backplane, you can run into a situation where the older module's FPGA image cannot talk to the management module. The LP and management modules have their own separate out-of-band network that bypasses the backplane, so auto-lp will attempt to stop the reboot cycle and use this connection to push the correct code to a misbehaving LP. Unfortunately, this may not work in every situation, so you may need to manually upgrade the code.

If you have a linecard constantly rebooting, you should use "boot lp 3 interactive" from Enable mode to force the card to start in interactive mode (this will stop the reboot loop). You can then push the correct software and fpga image to the card. I tend to use the older "copy tftp image" method because it will automatically copy the correct IronWare LP code and you can target a specific LP with it vs. the whole chassis. I also use "copy tftp lp .... Fpga-all lp 3" to automatically sync the correct FPGA code to a specific module.

Alternately, you can use the new "copy tftp system" method to automatically up grade all code and fpga images on an LP. The command should only push to a module that needs to be upgraded, but I would make sure you have an outage window if you do this on a live system.

There is some good guides on doing this at the Brocade Communities site and the software upgrade guide for each version of IronWare has details notes on how to use the methods I mentioned and how to fix common problems when things go wrong. Check my.brocade.com for more info.

Wilbur