[f-nsp] High LP CPU After Upgrade 4001a to 54c Multicast

Walter Meyer wgmeyer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 10:32:03 EDT 2013

We are seeing high CPU on our LPs after upgrading from 4001a to 54c on two
MLXs.

We are using PIM-SM and the mcast process is using a large amount of LP
CPU, but only after the upgrade. We are stable on the same config prior to
the upgrade. Also, the MLX that is the RP for networks with a large number
of multicast streams is the one that has a high CPU. The other core doesn't
have an issue (aside from being unstable because of the other MLX with high
CPU). We are pretty sure it has something to do with multicast routing we
just can't figure out why.

We do have a large number of group/OIF entries spanning multiple physical
ints and ves, but this shouldn't be an issue because of the OIF
optimization feature on the platform...right? On 4001a and 54c we have a
shareabilitiy coefficient / optimization of 98%...So it doesn't seem like a
resource problem...But we can't figure out why the traffic is hitting CPU.

Has anyone seen mcast problems after upgrading or have any troubleshooting
tips?