[f-nsp] High LP CPU After Upgrade 4001a to 54c Multicast

Eldon Koyle esk-puck.nether.net at esk.cs.usu.edu
Mon Jun 3 11:42:22 EDT 2013

We have seen issues when our MLXes receive multicast traffic for which
there have been no IGMP join messages sent (on edge ports).  I'm
assuming that not getting any PIM joins would have the same effect.
There are some applications that do not send IGMP messages if they
expect their traffic to remain on the same L2 domain.  Apparently if the
MLX doesn't have an entry for it, it punts it to the LP CPU.

To get an idea of which traffic is hitting the CPU, you can connect to
the LP (rconsole <slot_number>, then enable) and run 'debug packet
capture'.  That will show you a few packets as they hit the LP CPU, and
should at least tell you the source IP, interface, and multicast group
for the offending traffic.

HTH,

--
Eldon Koyle