[f-nsp] Experience with 5.4.00c on XMR?

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Wed May 8 19:33:05 EDT 2013

We're running 5400c on two MLXe 400's with 4x10G cards and 24x1g; mr2 management and the -x series cards (1 mil route in hardware).  Not doing anything terribly exciting, full bgp feeds from four upstreams, ospf on the inside, ipv4 and ipv6.  Only couple things that have really bugged me so far:

1) The management port is completely useless, and this isn't a 5400c code-specific issue from what I understand.  The problem is you can't hadd the management port to a management vrf, so you can't do things like routes specific to the management port, forcing you to waste a line card port for management functions unless your management network can work without routes and the vrf security isn't necessary.

2) The "ipv6 nd reachable-time" has a bug where it accepts a value in seconds but the show interface output tells you milliseconds; i.e. 900 seconds shows as 900 milliseconds but the bug is that it really is 900 seconds, so the command is successful but the display output is wrong.

3) If you enable "dampening" under "router bgp" you will only enable dampening for ipv4.  You have to go into address-family ipv6 unicast explicitly and enable it there for dampening to be enabled for ipv6.

4) The docs don't tell you this, but the "ipv6 nd ra-interval" command actually uses a randomized value of 0.5 to 1.5 times the  value you enter, per RFC 4861, so don't be alarmed when the show interface output gives you numbers that are different than expected.

David