[f-nsp] Brocade ARP Issues

salman sadiq salmanravian at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 10:48:38 EST 2013

Dear Experts,
             We have a huge Brocade infrastructure deployed in a very
hierarchical manner. The core devices (4 fully meshed) are MLX-32s,
distribution (FCX,SXR) and access (mostly FCX). Access layer acts as the GW
for the end clients and OSPF takes care of all the routing. We have seen a
lot of connectivity issues in the network where an end client loses
connectivity to the network, ie the client remains connected but cannot
access anything. In some cases we have seen one-way voice issues as well.
All looks good on the switches but there are repeated instances of
problematic connectivity. The arp entry is always there. I've looked at the
tcam mapping for some cases and it looks good too. The problem is always
resolved by a "clear arp" either on the access switch or in some cases on
the distribution device.

Problem with the ARP is so fundamental in nature that I find it hard to
swallow considering the fact that Brocade has a large customer base. TAC
has been trying to root cause the problem but with no success at all. Has
anyone else seen such issues? In our network we have to deal with such
cases almost on daily basis.

MLX is 5.4d
FCX is 7202d and 7.4d

Thank you.