[f-nsp] show ip[v6] bgp ?

Steven Raymond sraymond at acedatacenter.com
Mon Nov 11 10:40:09 EST 2013

On Nov 11, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:

> "Route is advertised to X peers:" is pretty clear in what it means.
>
> "Route is to be sent to Y peers:" I can't find any documentation saying what this means...and I'm curious, what does this mean?

My observation with this output seems to mean that it will send the route to the peer, after the peer is brought up.  Basically a configured but currently-down peer will get sent this route.

> The above mentioned bug was that an ipv6 route for which there was a network statement and static route to null0, the show ipv6 bgp route detail output said that the route was being advertised to a subset of the peers the config should have caused it to be sent to.  Those peers were not actually receiving the route.  Removing and re-adding the static route to null0 caused the route to be advertised to (and received by) all the peers that should have been getting it. This was seen on an XMR-16 that had been upgraded from 5.2.0 to 5.4.0 just a week or so prior.

Am pretty sure I have seen limited similar flakiness with new/readded statics getting advertised properly with 5.4.0c, but believe it was IPv4.  Are they members of a peer-group?  I found that you have to go both "peer-group blah activate" and "neighbor <ipv6> activate" or it wouldn't send any routes, period (the neighbor was establishing just fine).  Same wasn't true for IPv4 peer-group members.