[f-nsp] show ip[v6] bgp ?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Nov 11 12:37:17 EST 2013

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Steven Raymond wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:
>
>> "Route is advertised to X peers:" is pretty clear in what it means.
>>
>> "Route is to be sent to Y peers:" I can't find any documentation saying what this means...and I'm curious, what does this mean?
>
> My observation with this output seems to mean that it will send the
> route to the peer, after the peer is brought up.  Basically a configured
> but currently-down peer will get sent this route.

That was my first guess...but it doesn't seem to be the case.  These peers
are established and have been for some time.

>> The above mentioned bug was that an ipv6 route for which there was a
>> network statement and static route to null0, the show ipv6 bgp route
>> detail output said that the route was being advertised to a subset of
>> the peers the config should have caused it to be sent to.  Those peers
>> were not actually receiving the route.  Removing and re-adding the
>> static route to null0 caused the route to be advertised to (and
>> received by) all the peers that should have been getting it. This was
>> seen on an XMR-16 that had been upgraded from 5.2.0 to 5.4.0 just a
>> week or so prior.
>
> Am pretty sure I have seen limited similar flakiness with new/readded
> statics getting advertised properly with 5.4.0c, but believe it was
> IPv4.  Are they members of a peer-group?  I found that you have to go
> both "peer-group blah activate" and "neighbor <ipv6> activate" or it
> wouldn't send any routes, period (the neighbor was establishing just
> fine).  Same wasn't true for IPv4 peer-group members.

The peers in question are members of peer-groups.  My experience with peer
groups has been that if you configure route-maps (or probably any other
options) for the peer-group, then it's necessary to activate the
peer-group in the address-family, or your route-maps (or other options)
are not applied to members of the peer group in that address-family.
Individual members can be activated, but activating the peer-group appears
to be sufficient.  i.e. a member of an activated peer-group does not have
to be individually activated in order for routes to be exchanged.