[f-nsp] standby MP sync fails after firmware upgrade on BigIron RX

Joeri Vanthienen mail at joerivanthienen.be
Wed Apr 30 10:15:34 EDT 2014

Hi all,

We used the unified software image for upgrading some BigIron RX
routers (loaded with two MP's) to the latest firmware available.
After copying the unified software image, we rebooted the management
module using the reload command.
Problems arise when the synchronization starts to the standby MP.

"router>All tasks have completed their initializations
Start code flash synchronization to standby MP.
Code flash synchronization to standby MP is done.
Error:itc_send_running_config_req: sys_allocate_global_memory() failed
"

or when you put in the standby MP after loading the primary MP:

"Standby MP inserted

SYSLOG: <13>Apr 30 11:29:19 router, Management module 2 was inserted

Start code flash synchronization to standby MP.
Code flash synchronization to standby MP is done.
Error:itc_send_running_config_req: sys_allocate_global_memory() failed
Start cli mode synchronization to standby MP.
Session 0 cli mode synchronization to standby MP is done.
"

Has someone seen this issue before? I think we can work around this
issue by syncing the MP's with an empty config and copying the
configuration over again. Obviously this is a far from ideal solution.
This didn't happen on every router with the firmware, but the same
happened before with different routers and different firmwares in the
past.
I'm wondering why it complains about "sys_allocate_global_memory()
failed". We changed some default values ( lowered the amount of
possible virtual instances to
increase the max ip-route and ip-cache values).

Maybe it is time to create a ticket with Brocade, but maybe some of
you have experienced the same problem :) thanks in advance

Joeri