[f-nsp] Link State Propagation over Ethernet

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Aug 21 16:51:05 EDT 2014

A poster off-list suggested BFD.

Can you clarify this a bit? I think you're looking at the problem
backwards.

+------+   /---------\   +-----+
| MLXe | --  Network  -- | CER |
+------+   \---------/   +-----+
   |                        |
+------+                 +-----+
|  A   |                 |  B  |
+------+                 +-----+

When the "Network" fails, devices A & B (both of them) need to see their
Ethernet links go down.

If A & B supported BFD then I wouldn't need this link state propagation
behavior at all. They're black boxes that, per the vendor, are meant to
be directly connected.

So what I need is for the MLXe and the CER to communicate in some way
(MPLS / Ethernet OAM) and when that communication is interrupted, drop
the Ethernet link on the ports facing the devices.

My next best solution is that the vendor knows of some third-party
devices that can do exactly this behavior. I'll go that route if I can't
do it with the gear we already have.

--
Richard