[f-nsp] BR-MLX-10Gx8-X in an XMR with HSF, will give me line rate?

i3D.net - Martijn Schmidt martijnschmidt at i3d.net
Thu Jan 16 20:03:24 EST 2014

Hello all,

To clear up the confusion, first off the NetIron platform chassis options:

MLX: can only handle -M modules.
XMR: can only handle -X modules, aka the full BGP routing table.
MLXe: is the successor to the MLX/XMR platform, and becomes MLX-like or
XMR-like depending on the management blades you install; management
blade type is distinguished by the -M or -X suffix in the SKU.

The main difference between MLXe and its predecessors is that the
backplane can handle high capacity cards such as:

BR-MLX-10GX24-DM
BR-MLX-100Gx2-X
BR-MLX-40Gx4-M

Now, you can still install a BR-MLX-10Gx8-X into a legacy XMR chassis
but HSF switching fabrics are required, the old SFM are not good enough.
That being said the ports on 10Gx8 cards are as far as I know all
wirespeed: I know for sure when installed in a MLXe chassis, but not
100% certain about full wirespeed when they are installed in a legacy
XMR chassis.

What I can tell you is that we have the exact setup Carlos describes in
production (BR-MLX-10Gx8-X blades in a legacy XMR chassis with HSF
fabrics), and it's running without problems: but we've never fully
maximized port bandwidth usage on all ports at the same time. Don't
think such a situation occurs too often in the wild, either, since
almost everyone will upgrade their capacity to spread load over more
ports rather than risking congestion.

Best regards,

Martijn Schmidt
i3D.net