[f-nsp] BigIron RX FIB Capacity

Joeri Vanthienen mail at joerivanthienen.be
Sun Mar 2 15:05:49 EST 2014

Hi all,

We have some BigIron RX routers configured with the maximum FIB capacity values:

system-max ip-cache 524288
system-max ip-route 524288

What will exactly happen if we reach the limit on this platform? Will
the router insert some kind of default entry to punt lookup exceptions
to software? Do you get some kind of cache trashing? Are the oldest
entries swapped by newer, or shorter prefixes removed in favor of more
specific prefixes ?
In the future we will need to combine BGP prefix filters with a
default route to overcome the limitations of this platform, but I'm
just very curious how Brocade has implemented this :)
Is RIB -> FIB filtering implemented (or on the roadmap) for the newer
MLX and CER platforms?

Thanks in advance.
Joeri