[f-nsp] Software management NetIron/Ironware

Steven Raymond sraymond at acedatacenter.com
Fri Sep 5 09:49:51 EDT 2014

On Sep 5, 2014, at 6:58 AM, Mathias Wolkert <tias at netnod.se> wrote:

> Hi
>
> How do you handle upgrades on your XMRs and MLXs?
> Single-command upgrade is ok, but I'd like to run it from compact flash.
> How do I copy it to slot1 easily?
> Single-command upgrade needs to have the directory structure intact and
> I can't seem to get scp tp work.
>
> TFTP is no fun when box is 10ms away.
>
> Any tips?

During my last upgrade round to 5.6.0c, my chassis' that were multiple 10s of ms away were failing during single-command upgrade.  Timing out on the biggest file.  BTAC was involved but couldn't solve it.  Out of impatience I ended up shipping out a flash card to upgrade each locally and that went smoothly.

I was able to simply copy the upgraded firmware onto the flashcard while of course preserving the directory structure.  I think the flash cards are MS-DOS formatted, but was able to copy them over on my Mac with a cheap usb to flash multi-adapter dongle.