[f-nsp] FCX stack problem and maybe move to 8?

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Dec 9 05:56:59 EST 2015

I have an F-CX stack of two which exhibits a problem when running 7.4 code
(even latest 7400m).  The problem doesn't exhibit with 7300e.

(Summary of problem is that one of the members will fall out of the stack,
after a bit more than a day (although it managed to do it in 10 mins
earlier).  Need to reboot both members to get it all working again.)

However, the reason I'm here really is to ask about the 8 code train,
which I have jumped to on F-CX.  I have an opportunity in the next couple
of weeks.  But there are so many to choose from!  8001, 8010, 8020, 8030.
How is one to decide?

So I'm looking for any useful hints on what has proven stable and a good
bet (assuming it makes my stacking problem go away at all) - or what is
best avoided.  Then I can home in on some release notes.  I've a note
saved from a few months ago on this list: "8.0.30b is out (aug 2015), and
a better choice if you are looking to upgrade to an 8.0.30 train. There
were a large number of defects closed with that release. 8.0.20d is due
out very soon as well for those that want to venture past the 8.0.10
code.".

Scenario is fairly simple, some L2 VLANs, L3 ves, some OSPF, quite a lot
of multicast traffic and a few acls.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.