[f-nsp] arp problem on brocade mlx

Tudor Capatina ktudore at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 10:21:31 EST 2015

Thanks for the reply Eldon,

in the end it was a software bug which caused MP and LP not to be in sync. I powered off / on the card and it came back to life.

Happy holidays!
Tudor

 Subject: Re: [f-nsp] arp problem on brocade mlx
 To: "Tudor Capatina" <ktudore at yahoo.com>
 Cc: foundry-nsp at puck.nether.net
 Date: Thursday, December 17, 2015, 9:04 PM

 You might check the
 number of MAC addresses it sees (sh mac)... if
 there is a device going insane somewhere, it
 could exhaust the mac
 forwarding DB and
 cause strange behavior.

 sh
 default values | inc mac
 SSH at mlx4#sh default values |
 inc mac
 sys log buffers:50
    mac age time:300 sec       telnet
 sessions:5
 mac
   32768      1048576    32768      32768
 32768      Yes
 vpls-mac
              2048
    262144     2048
    2048
 2048
    Yes
 SSH at mlx4#

 Do you have spanning tree
 running on this interface?

 I'm assuming these interfaces are in the
 default VRF, but if not it
 opens up a whole
 world of other possibilities.

 You could also check the TM log, although you
 would have to open a
 ticket to find out what
 any of it meant:
 sh tm log

 On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at
 10:44 AM, Tudor Capatina via foundry-nsp
 <foundry-nsp at puck.nether.net>
 wrote:
 > Hello all,
 >
 > on a brocade mlx-4
 running IronWare : Version 5.4.0fT163, following a crash
 (was doing a no ip route under a ip vrf and the box rebooted
 itself), I am facing a weird problem.

 > On a 10G interface i
 have several customers, each connected in a vlan, with a
 vlan interface and a /30 used for the connection. All were
 working ok before the crash. Now on some of them i get the
 following behaviour: i receive a mac-address all the time,
 at times there is an arp entry, after some time it is gone,
 later it works again (sometime after a cpe reboot, sometime
 it just works).

 > It
 sounded to me like a cache or an arp limit problem but:

 > sh ip cache
 > Total IP and IPVPN Cache Entry Usage on
 LPs:
 >  Module        Host
 Network       Free      Total
 >       1        3745
    361450     159093
    524288

    2        4132     361450
    158706     524288
 >       3        4996
    361450     157842
    524288

    4        4884     361450
    157954     524288

 respectively:
 > #sh default values | i
 arp
 > ip arp age:10 min
 bootp relay max hops:4     ip ttl:64 hops
 > ip-arp
    8192       65536      8192
      8192       8192
    No

 while my arp usage is of 2k (as seen by show arp)

 > Any ideas what i
 could look at or what might cause this? Logs do not mention
 anything relevant.

 Thanks a lot,