[f-nsp] Multicast is being switched by LP CPU on MLXe?

Daniel Schmidt daniel.schmidt at wyo.gov
Mon Dec 19 13:45:01 EST 2016

Doesn't work that way.  You need something to generate the igmp queries - a
l3 interface.  Without it, igmp snooping doesn't work and you get exactly
what you have - a broadcast being forwarded out all ports killing the CPU.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Alexander Shikoff <minotaur at crete.org.ua>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 11:20:36AM -0700, Daniel Schmidt wrote:
> >    It's been a while, but I wouldn't think that pim snooping would not
> do a darn thing on l2,
> >    you would want igmp snooping.  That said, I don't think that would
> work without at least a
> >    local l3 interface to respond to the queries.  Otherwise, you might
> as well just use
> >    broadcast. (Not that I recommend that)
>
> Hi!
>
> I don't need this box to respond and/or generate IGMP queries.
> I just need to snoop them in order to prevent unnecessary multicast
> flooding over all ports in certain VLAN.
>
> Again, my configuration is:
>
> !
> vlan 450 name ITCons2DS_test
>  tagged ethe 7/1 to 7/2 ethe 9/5 ethe 11/2 ethe 12/8 ethe 13/8
>  multicast passive
> !
>
> That's all. No any L3 multicast routing. Just IGMP snooping.
>
> And with such configuration my MLXe-16 starts switching multicast
> packets by LP CPU.
>
> --
> MINO-RIPE

of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act and may be disclosed to third parties.