[f-nsp] Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ?

Jörg Kost jk at ip-clear.de
Tue Apr 11 03:41:01 EDT 2017

On 10 Apr 2017, at 12:18, Wilbur Smith wrote:

> On a side note, the Virtual SLX-OS code should be posted to MyBrocade
> soon; this is a modified version of SLX-OS we’ll be distributing for
> free to help prototype & test network design with the SLX. The code
> can be launched from any Linux KVM hypervisor, with on VM acting as
> the management module and additional VMs acting as the line cards.
> Version 1.0 will be control-plane only, so you can use it to get a
> feel for the CLI or test scripting against the supported APIs. Version
> 2 should launch later this year and will also include data-plane, so
> can prototype actual routing & switching scenarios virtually.

This++!

I have already studied the API-guide and used some mocking against the
VDX because of its similarity. For https://github.com/ipcjk/ixgen I am
creating SLX-configurations based on the CLI-syntax, despite I am not
owning SLX devices right now.

Being able to execute these things against API and / or run the binary
directly from the management router is a fortune and will introduce
competitive advantage.

Jörg