[f-nsp] Strange SNMP logs/Slowdown

Daniel Schmidt daniel.schmidt at wyo.gov
Tue Sep 18 13:01:21 EDT 2018

I've a strange issue - just one of my MLX polls very, very slowly for no
discernible reason.  A simple snmpwalk confirms this.  Fearing it was
somehow being over polled, I added log statements to my snmp acl.  I did
not find evidence of excessive polling, however, I got strange log messages:

#show log | i list 1
Sep 17 16:18:26:W:ACL: ACL: list 1 denied udp 192.0.2.153(0)(Ethernet mgmt1
cc4e.24XX.XXXX) -> 198.51.100.1(snmp), 8414208 event(s)
Sep 17 16:13:26:W:ACL: ACL: list 1 denied udp 192.0.2.153(0)(Ethernet mgmt1
cc4e.24XX.XXXX) -> 198.51.100.1(snmp), 8414208 event(s)

They didn't increment, mgmt1 is down, acl list 1 doesn't exist nor was the
mac in the table.  The other messages all make sense, but this one - this
is just weird.  I'm still running 5.8.0h and have no plans to go to 6 till
they add my "ipv6 loopback in vrf can't ping" fix to the code.

I suppose I simply will reboot it, as my last tac case was easily recreated
yet caused me to beat my head against the wall till my coworkers questioned
my sanity.  (A week to explain, a week for them to lab it up and then I had
to argue that it was wrong because they didn't even use a VRF, much less
MPLS)  Can't reboot till next week and my head is still sore from the last
tac case.

Hence, in despair, I throw myself upon the mercy of the f-nsp list.  thkx

of public
business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act and may be
disclosed to third parties.