[f-nsp] Brocade / Extreme VDX 6740 and ISSU

Gerald K. gerald at ax.tc
Fri Jul 24 06:39:23 EDT 2020

JFYI: The ISSU from 6.0.2e to 6.0.2h has been worked without problems in
our test bed:

- 2x Brocade VDX6740-64 in VCS/Logical-Chassis mode
- 2x Cisco ME3400 Switches with 2x1GE Port-Channel to the VCS
  Fabric (1xGE to each VDX member)
- 2x test server behind the Cisco Switches (test server couldn't
  run LACP/Port-Channel by itself, hence the Cisco Switches in the
  setup)
- ~500-700mbit of constant scp-traffic in both directions between the
  test server

During the ISSU on the VDX member Rbridge 6 all Interfaces and
Port-Channels seems to be online all the time and pass traffic. We
couldn't observe any significant packet loss.

After ISSU the updated VDX member re-joins the fabric even it has a
different software version:

ssw6# sh vcs
Rbridge-Id WWN                       IP            VCS     Fabric
5          >10:00:12:34:56:78:90:05  192.168.1.51  Online  Online
6           10:00:12:34:56:78:90:06* 192.168.1.52  Online  Online

ssw6# sh ver brie rb all
rbridge-id 5
Slot    Name    Primary/Secondary Versions    Status
SW/0    NOS     6.0.2e                        ACTIVE*
                6.0.2e
SW/1    NOS     6.0.2e                        STANDBY
                6.0.2e
rbridge-id 6
Slot    Name    Primary/Secondary Versions    Status
SW/0    NOS     6.0.2h                        STANDBY
                6.0.2h
SW/1    NOS     6.0.2h                        ACTIVE*
                6.0.2h

So the conclusion is that ISSU can really work as expected. It takes
time and show a lot of different warnings and interim states before it
is complete. You have to be patient and watch the (Serial-)log.

Gerald