HW-2036A

Adam McLaughlin kd6poc at JPS.NET
Mon Aug 25 13:48:30 EDT 1997

I repaired two of these once for a local ham. I recomend replacing the tone
generator chip. I did that and it cost a whole 50 cents. After the
replacment, the tone generator settled down and behaved nicely.

You also have to get the 10 turn pots set EXACTLY in the right position for
the tone you want. This is much more critical than the manual makes it seem.
You may need to periodically re-align them due to the vibration experienced
while mobile.

The local ham bought the radio, power supply, speaker, microphone, manuals
all for $15.

Good Luck and 73,

Adam

>Gang,
>
>Am forwarding this letter to see if you have any suggestions for Mr.
>Buchner. please respond to him, not me...
>
>Thanks!
>

>FREDERICK J BUCHNER wrote:
>
><SNIP>
>
>> Well to make a long story short I wound up the lucky bidder. For $18
>> dollars I got the 2036 and a 6amp power supply. The radio, according to
>> the manual was originally an HW-2036. The notations in the manual read
>> that the update A was done 11/25/78 and that an LED readout per june 1979
>> QST was added 8/25/79.
>>
>> My only problem with the radio seems to be with the CTCSS section in that
>> it drifts and sometimes does not activate the local repeater and when it
>> does reports of the tone being to audible with my transmissions.
>>
>> So my questions for you are is there any way to stabilize the tone freq.
>> and can the tone output be lowered. The other question pertains to
>> collector value of this radio.
>>
>> Any info that you can give me would be truly appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you and 73 for now.
>>
>> Fred Buchner
>> KG2JE
>> E-MAIL KG2JE at Juno.com
>>

>--
>Chuck Penson
>WA7ZZE
>
>penson at sci.mus.mn.us
>612.221.4510 voice
>612.224.5092 fax
>http://comped.sci.mus.mn.us/staff/chuck
>
>After having used the Web for a couple of years now I am convinced that
>lots of information isn't always better than no information at all.

Adam McLaughlin KD6POC
QRG: 7037 Kcs & 7014 Kcs (DX Only)
kd6poc at jps.net
www.jps.net/jmclaugh