HW 101

Steve & Anne Ray sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Tue Dec 16 20:23:52 EST 1997

Hi Stu,

Thanks for your note.  I found the 6EA8 developed oscillations (spurs) most
notable on 10 and 15 meters.  Heath came out with a fix with some bypassing
caps, but I prefer the 6CQ8.  Over the years I bought a lot of 6EA8s to
cure the spur problem.  You could see the output power not varying a whole
lot, yet you were getting good modulation reports.   Going with the 6CQ8
which is a triode/tetrode solved the problem and I found gave a lot more
audio drive.  I use a D-104 with my HW-101.  My HW-101 is the main rig and
other then my recent ventures into QRP the only rig.  In fact in 35 years
of hamming I have only had 3 rigs and the last when I built the HW-101 21
years ago.

As far as your question on R-202 do not remove R-202 that is in your
SB-101, apparently Heath used a different numbering scheme between the
various rigs.  The resistor to remove is a 10K locate between the output of
V3 and pin 2 of V5a.  (Obviously you must replace this with a piece of
wire)  I checked my SB-102 manual and it does not show this resistor,
unfortunately I do not have a SB-101 manual so I cannot check it.  To
further help you this resistor goes across two circuit boards the IF
circuit board to the bandpass circuit board.  In the SB-102 manual it shows
these two points connected by shielded wire.

The article in Hints and Kinks was in the collection of Hints and Kinks
published in 1978.  If anyone wants a copy send me a large SASE and I will
be glad to copy and mail back.

73,

Steve Ray    K4JPN   ex K1VKW   HW-101, HW-8,
SWL 30-40, Pixie II, NC 38S and Heath Kit fan

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH