Mohawk troubles

Thomas Bonomo bonomo at CPICI.COM
Wed Jul 2 15:03:37 EDT 1997

I have just finished cosmetically restoring an RX-1 Mohawk receiver and
have moved on to electrical restoration.  After replacing weak tubes, I
gave it an alignment and it seems to be working, but this receiver
doesn't sound very good.  I find that I usually have to run the IF Gain
all the way down, and often must cut back on the RF Gain as well.

I have measured S9 using a signal generator (100 microvolts) and this
too confirms that the IF Gain must be set to minimum or 100 microvolts
pins the S meter.  This receiver has an awful lot of gain!

I also find the AVC to be less effective that most receivers, even
though it seems to be generating adequate AVC voltage.  Am I chasing
receiver problems, or is this just the way the Mohawk was designed?  Are
there any factory changes that improve the performance of this receiver?

Thanks for your help!  Tom Bonomo  K6AD