Apache help needed

Bill Coleman N2BC n2bc at IBM.NET
Fri Jul 11 02:10:59 EDT 1997

I should have known the refurb was going too clean....

Symptom: modulation level control has no effect what-so-ever....   I have
audio, plenty of it. Might be a bit on the 'thin' side (no lows) but haven't
given it a critical listen yet.  Just wanted to determine what's with the
modulation level control.

What I found:  It looks like I've found either a wiring error and/or a mod.

1) the modulation level control (R3) is hanging on the Low B+ and going
noplace! Supposed to take the AF from the second section of V8, thru a
blockling cap, thru the pot to the grid of the driver.  What I have is a
blocking cap straight to the grid of the driver and a 100K resistor to ground.

2) plate voltage has been removed from V8 and the grid of the first section
jumpered straight to the plate of the section. This has the effect of jumpering
out the clipper.

This looks like a mod(s) - but for the live of me I can see no reason for the
wiring of the modulation level pot other than a 30 year old mistake.

My questions:  Anybody recognize any of this?  Should I restore it to original?

I've had one recommendation to add .0047 caps in parallel to the existing
blocking caps to improve the lows - that sounds like something it needs.

Appreciate the collective wisdom out there

Bill Coleman (N2BC)
Email: n2bc at ibm.net