Tube Miller Effects

Ray Mack mack at MAILS.IMED.COM
Thu Jul 17 13:34:03 EDT 1997

Doug:
        I saw a couple of posts that are close but leave out the
mechanism.

        The Miller effect refers to the apparent increase in grid to
cathode capacitance due to the amplification of the tube when modeling
the amplifier for analysis.

        When engineers model a circuit they take the 3 capacitors of
the tube (Cgk, Cgp, and Cpk) and change them into 2 capacitors.  One
is the input capacitance from grid to cathode and the second is the
output capacitance from plate to cathode.

        The Miller effect comes from the large voltage swing at the
plate and how that feeds current from the plate to the grid.  This
extra current is in the proper phase such that it looks just like the
extra current necessary to charge up a much larger grid to cathode
capacitor.  The Miller capacitance shows up in parallel with the grid
to cathode capacitance.  It is a pain because it is usually much
larger than the inherent grid/cathode cpacitance.

        The Miller effect also shows up in bipolar transistor models
and especially in MOSFET power transistor models.

        I hope that this adds more information.

Ray Mack
WD5IFS
mack at mails.imed.com