5AR4/GZ34 Tube Wanted

Dave Edwards ham at CYBERCOMM.NET
Mon Jul 28 08:37:01 EDT 1997

At 03:50 AM 7/28/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>From:  Bob Groh, WA2CKY
>>
>>I, personally, do not try to replace vacuum tube rectifiers directly but
>>simply replace them with silicon power rectifier diodes.
>
>Be careful with this.... the forward drop is significantly less
>than hollow state equvalents, and the immediate conduction
>is not what the designers were aware of when designing the
>circuit involved. Both can cause serious issues.
>Best 73
>/John
>
>Don't even consider the solid state replacement.
Besides the electric problems they bring to the rest of the circuit with
there instant-on operation, you will kill the re-sale value of the unit.
While I am skeptical about this, audiophiles cringe at the sonic deficiancys
of solid state rectification.
Get the Chinese or Russian GZ34s, and use them. Then keep your eyes peeled
for a carcass that uses an RCA or GE or just spend the money and buy one at
the high
price. You should not have to replace it again. (unlike the output tubes)

...Dave

Dave Edwards  WB2TBB