5AR4/GZ34 Tube Wanted

Phil Mills pmills at A.CRL.COM
Mon Jul 28 07:56:44 EDT 1997

Sounds good, except you left out the part about the need for
a dropping resistor to make up for that forward conduction
loss....

thanks, Phil

At 09:38 PM 7/27/1997 -0700, you wrote:
>> >Subject: 5AR4/GZ34 Tube WantedTo:  Denny, WB7EGG/6
>From:  Bob Groh, WA2CKY
>
>I, personally, do not try to replace vacuum tube rectifiers directly but
>simply replace them with silicon power rectifier diodes.  Work much
>better, cost much, much less and reduce power supply drain (i.e. no
>filament power and less forward conduction loss).  I use 1N4005 or
>1N4007 diodes - they are (respectively) 600 V, 1A and 1000 V, 1A.  I
>keep a bunch of them in the parts drawers for just such use.  Very
>readily available and, as mentioned, cheap (like 4 cents each for the
>1N4007).  You can either put them directly across the tube socket pin
>under the chassis or, if you want to get exotic, pry out the glass
>envelope on the old, deflunct rectifier, wire the diodes inside the base
>and then epoxy the glass back on.  Other than the lack of filament glow,
>you're back in business.  But just a lot better.  73 and good luck.

Phil Mills                      *****    WTB   14th Ed. Radio Handbook   *****
pmills at a.crl.com                *****
281-992-5762 DAYS
P.O. Box 1307
Friendswood, TX   77549   (near Houston)