Engineers Union?

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Thu Jul 31 18:48:04 EDT 1997

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Rick Lutzinger wrote:

> >On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Trask, Chris, One Each wrote:
> >
> >        I know that this is off-topic, but I've worked in a lot of
> >places where I wished to God there was a union.  Ever try to organize
> >engineers?  Last time I saw teamwork was on the side of a can of Boraxo.
> >Prior to that it was while flying transports in the Air Force.  Too bad
> >I grew up in the US Army, or I could be just like everyone else. :{^
> >

> The last thing any good, self-thinking engineer would want is a union
> running his day, his design, his life for him!

        Unions do not run your day, life, design, life, etc.  Nor do they
steal your work and award it to someone else on the basis of political
patronage, such as I've experienced from more than one employer.  A good
union protects labour from managerial abuses such as these.  Like I said
earlier, workers don't organize if they are treated decently.

        Just about anyone I've met who objected strongly to unions usually
turned out to be a lousy team worker.  A strong union is composed of mem-
bers who speak with one voice, which precludes the "personal ambitions"
that make most engineering environments professional combat zones.  And
"team players" are not "team workers" either.  The former term applies to
office brown nosers.  The latter term applies to those who get the job
done as a group, on time, and no BS.

        Any further comments should be kept out of the maillist.

                                          Regards,

                                          Chris

     ,----------------------.       Circuit Design for the
    / If you understand it,  \            RF Impaired
   /   then it's obsolete!   /
   \  _______,--------------'        Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                               Principal Engineer
 oo\                                 ATG Design Services
(__)\       _                          P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                  Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                     Technical Editor,
     .       (  ) \                      QRP Quarterly
      '-| )__| :.  \                     QRP ARCI 9464
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__      Email:  ctrask at primenet.com

                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks