intro

Nick England nick at CS.UNC.EDU
Fri Mar 28 17:00:49 EST 1997

Well, I might as well introduce myself here too.
It all started when I found a Marauder at a hamfest about 6-7 years ago
- I couldn't believe I could get such a great rig for $65
- a rig that I only drooled over in Heath catalogs years ago.

One thing led to another and now I have about 200+ Heathkits down
in the basement. I believe I have at least one of all the tube-type
Heath ham rigs and accessories
        *except for the HW-18-3 160m SSB xcvr.*

You can see some of this on my Web page:
        http://www.cs.unc.edu/~nick/hobbies.html

Why do I do this ? I dunno - other than I had so much fun putting together
Heathkits and Knightkits many years ago, the gear is a lot of fun to
work on and get going, and I'm your typical boatanchor nut. My wife
says if I'm gonna have a midlife crisis, collecting old radio gear is a
lot better than some other activities she could name.

I'm always looking for unbuilt kits and will trade gear or cash for
unbuilt tube-type ham or hi-fi gear from Heath, Knight, Eico, etc.

I have several parts rigs, so if you need some strange part to get
your rig going, drop me a line. I have these rigs in various stages of
dismemberment: DX-40, DX-100, Apache, SB-101, HW-101, HW-12, SB-630
(sorry, all the SB series dial hardware is gone)
(sorry, the Apache and DX-100 audio driver xfmr and final loading
        capacitors are gone)

I've got a bunch of other boatanchor gear in my collection and on the
air as well. Most all were offered as kits in the 50's.

If you need info on sources of parts, manuals, etc. just
check my Boatanchors Frequently Asked Questions page:
        http://www.cs.unc.edu/~nick/rrab.faq.txt

If you're at a hamfest in the Southeast and see a guy with a cap that
says "Mr. Heathkit", say howdy.

73 & Have Fun,
Nick England  KD4CPL  nick at cs.unc.edu   Univ. Of North Carolina
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~nick             Chapel Hill NC