List problem solved (well, pretty sure)

Dave Kelley aa7tq at PRIMENET.COM
Sun Mar 30 16:36:05 EST 1997

Hi gang...

The list is fixed. (or should be)  If you want to read about it keep going...otherwise, have a great day!!

---------

I have gotten word from the list gods who sold me the server software for this list about the "flushing" problem.  They gave me some changes to the configuration and I have passed it on to all of my lists....Heath wasn't the only one that "flushed" messages.

It seems that, if you EVER missed even a single message because of some down time of your e-mail provider it marked you as a possible delete candidate.  Normally (but not how I had it set) once your e-mail was bounced back several times it would unsubscribe you and notify me.  This would be normal.  I had given it instructions to delete but none of the parameters on after how many errors or how many days.  Kinda' like giving directions to your house by saying "go straight and then turn left"....with no direction or street name.  So, the server, not knowing what to do, re-sent everything, including some "mysterious" messages you had never seen (those that it couldn't deliver the first time).  Obviously, some of you don't know what the heck I'm talking about...because you always got your mail and didn't get the flush.

Sooo, bottom line, we shouldn't have any more trouble.

Some of you seem to be having problems in that you are missing some of the posts.  I am going to work on the web interface that will display the archives.  You will be able to check there and see if you're missing anything.  Meanwhile, if you see mail in the archive that you didn't get, I will have a record of the "bounced" e-mail reports that I get and see if you are on the list.  This is going to be a lot of work because when you get 250+ on a list SOMEONE's mail server is down on any given post.  Never fear...I will find a way to automate the task!  :o)

73 and sorry to interrupt the good Heath threads!  Hmmm, Heath threads would be polyester bell bottoms wouldn't they??  :o)

Dave AI7R
List Admin