Help with HW-100 repair...

Dave gekko95 at IX.NETCOM.COM
Fri May 16 01:09:46 EDT 1997

Hello all you Heath nuts (like me :),

I'm having a bit of trouble with a newly acquired HW-100
that maybe someone in the group can help with.

While on the air this evening, the finals quit with a sizzle.
I opened the case and found the plate cap of one of them had
been soldered (!) by a previous owner and had arc-ed over
a tad.  No damage - just toasted tubes.  I changed them and
all was well - full 105 watts out on 40cw.

However, now the AGC recovery when returning to receive is
extremely slow.  If I just pop into transmit for a second
and back to receive it works fine.  But when I actually
operate for a go-round in a QSO, when I go back to receive
the receiver is 'dead' for 10 seconds, and only slooooowly
recovers.  Just as if the AGC is etremely slow. The received
CW note has a raspy quality, and the volume must be run full
to copy the call sign exchange.  After that, it recovers
enough to start backing off, and 20 seconds or so later,
it is back to normal.

Did something possibly toast in the power supply?  I am
sure I will be able to fix it, but I have idea where to
start looking.  It appears to have nothing to do with
the VOX recovery - the problem persists in PTT mode as well.

This HW-100 is my fun new BA, and otherwise in wonderful
condition.  I hate to know it's not working right!

Thanks to any who reply.  I do have a manual and schematic.

Dave WB7AWK
Tacoma, WA