HEATH MOST ACCURATE CLOCKS

S. Lee slee at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Oct 29 13:56:33 EST 1997

Radio Shack sells a WWVB receiver clock, P/N: 63-970. They had been
on sale for $39.99 (down from $49.99). Operates off two AAA batteries.
I bought one last week, installed some batteries, then set it on the
shelf while placing its tiny antenna on the shelf above. When I checked
on it the following morning, there was the correct time in the LCD
display. Then on Sunday it set itself to standard time. This clock also
has an alarm with snooze feature. It displays an image of the time zone
for which it is showing the time. It also displays an icon to indicate
whether or not a WWVB signal is or has been received within the last,
what, 90 hours or thereabouts. It does not display time in UTC, though,
when the autoset feature is in use.  I believe this particular clock can
automatically update its time not more than 6 times a day and does
so only to the continental US time zone to which it is set. Of course
this assumes a good received signal from WWVB.

One other comment I would like to make about Radio Shack that few may
be aware of:  They have a service whereby one can purchase the schematic
and circuit description of many of their products. Because I want to
hack this clock for a project I contacted Radio Shack technical support
at 1-800-843-7422. They put me onto their faxback service number at
1-800-323-6586 for document number 36361. What I received was a list
of parts used in this clock, no circuit diagram or detailed signal
description.  OK, so one should be able to gleen this information from
other sources...look at "Electronics World" magazine, March 1966,
page 229, and September 1997, page 748, just for starters.

Sorry I got carried away with enthusiasm here folks but I'm excited
about the possibilities of this WWVB clock.

de AB7HI, Stephen Lee, Federal Way, WA
          slee at u.washington.edu

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov