Heath Manuals

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Sep 3 10:11:53 EDT 1997

Daniel T Ruth wrote:

> Randy  (and the whole list),
>     Thanks (I think) for that bit of legality.  That makes me wonder
> though, does that mean that operations like W7FG, and Hi-Manuals, etc.
> are "bootleggers" or have they acquired some special dispensation for
> what they do (copy manuals)?
>
>     If they're bootleggers, I would think that they're in real legal
> trouble (especially seeing that W7FG has a web page dedicated to copies
> of manuals!  Until there's a report that these operations have been
> "silenced", I would imagine that people are not going to take this issue
> seriously.
>
>   Do you agree??
>
> Danny  W3ZF   heathkit at juno.com

To Danny and All:

     Perhaps this clears up a mystery.  In the latest catalog (#7) that
I have from the Manual Man, all the Heath stuff has disappeared.

     My experience with the quality of the materials Heath is providing
is echoed in two other postings on this net.  Also the high prices.

     I have a solution, albeit perhaps a Draconian one, but I am
seriously considering it, even though for me it would be really drastic,
since my entire station, except for my 2-meter rig and one of my linear
amplifiers is Heath stuff.

     I am considering selling all of my Heath ham gear in one batch, and
all of my Heath test gear, and possibly a bunch of my other old stuff in
another batch or two.  It would have to be pickup only,or I could
deliver to a point up to 300 miles from Atlanta.  Icannot ship
piecemeal.

     That would certainly allay all these problems, although of course
it would involve buying new or late model gear, which I must admit I am
considering anyway.  It would break my heart to do it, because I have
been a lifelong user and fan of Heathkit gear, but I am too old to
contend with all the contentiousness that now exist, it seems, in every
walk of life...even ham radio.  Que lastima!

     To assist me in making this drastic decision, is there anyone out
there who would be interested in and could swing a bulk buy?

                                   Regretfully,

                                   Keith, K4KGW