Heathkit Reference Project

Gary Harmon gharmon at TXDIRECT.NET
Mon Sep 8 22:15:26 EDT 1997

About 2 weeks ago I posted the following e-mail about a project John Burch
and I were considering.

"John Burch, a.k.a., occupant, and I have been discussing the need for
a easy to use reference source for Heathkit part/model numbers indexed
to nomenclature/years sold/etc.  Nothing fancy to start with, e.g., look
up AT-1 and find out it was a CW transmitter sold during 1955-1958 or
whatever.  We don't want to start this project if someone else is
working it or if something already exists.  My son is a professional WWW
page designer so it will be classy and more importantly, functional."

The response was overwhelmingly positive especially from the most famous
Heathkit collectors.  There was some misunderstandings like:

1.  Penson's book is all you need.  (We plan to include everything in the
catalogues not just HAM gear).

2.  A thoughtful individual who offered the loan of his manuals in case we
needed additional information has been chastised in private e-mail as an
evil person for copying manuals.  (His original e-mail said NOTHING about
copying manuals).

3.  Someone said we couldn't use ANY material because it all belonged to
the Heath Company.  (Huh?).

4.  John and I will proceed with the project and let the list know when an
initial product is available for review.  Thanks for your support.

Very best 73,
gary

Gary H. Harmon, Jr., K5JWK
6302 Robin Forest
San Antonio, TX 78239-3218
(210) 657-1549
gharmon at txdirect.net

Too Many Projects, Not Enough Time!
Better to Have and Not Need than to Need and Not Have!
Pack Unto Others As You Would Have Them Pack Unto You!