Power Supplies Needed ...plus...some questions for the H

Ray Mack mack at MAILS.IMED.COM
Tue Apr 7 10:45:17 EDT 1998

Doug:
        The paint I used for my HG10 VFO was a Rustoleum color from Home Depot.
Don't think you'll have them outside Texas, but should have an equivalent.  It
is a flat color.  I seem to recall the color was Sage.  It is a pretty close
match.  Of course, close for Heath green is all over the map.  No 2 of my many
Heath green pieces have factory paint that is identical.  From that perspective,
get something that is reasonably close and no one will be able to tell the
difference.

I'm not sure about the difference in application question.  Here's the answer to
the question I think you asked:

Do not apply the paint to bare metal.  It definately requires a metal primer to
be used first.  My HG10 also had rust which I took care of with Duro Extend
before the primer.  I used Rustoleum white primer before the green top coats.
In order to get a rough finish, I followed some advice I got here a year or so
ago. If you spray the color coat from a longer distance than the can says you
tend to get little globs of paint and the surface is rough.  It's not exactly
like the Heath finish, but it is close.  It also wastes a *LOT* of paint.  The
HG10 took a whole can to do 3 coats.  If you are painting over the factory
paint, just clean it well with some type of degreaser.  Be *VERY* careful of
putting the cabinet in the dishwasher.  The combination of abrasive soap and
high pressure can eat the paint off (that's why my HG10 needed primer :<( ).
After you have the grunge off the finish just paint with the color coat using
the directions on the can.  The underlying factory finish with the little globs
will then show through the new color coat.

Ray Mack
WD5IFS
mack at mails.imed.com

Author:  "J.Douglas Hensley" <w5jv at JUNO.COM> at mails
Date:    4/6/98 8:38 AM

<snip>
Finally, for the SB series: what is the recommended paint to use for
repainting and is there any difference between applying this to a newly
finished surface versus the old (but cleaned) surface?
<snip>

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH