Looking for.

Steve & Anne Ray sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Apr 25 22:04:03 EDT 1998

I use a RCA Voltomyst I bought at a Hamfest, however any VTVM should work
fine.  I have yet to see a VTVM that was not designed with a 11 Meg Ohm
impedance.  You can use a DVM, but make sure it has 11 Meg Ohm impedance,
other wise if it is typical of several inexpensive ones I have seen it will
only be about 1 M Ohm impedance and can load down the circuits.   You can
usually find VTVM at hamfests for $10 to $20.    The VTVM also has the
advantage over a inexpensive DVM of being able to see any changes
instantly.  Very helpful when aligning the rig.

A far as the RF probe is concerned the ARRL handbook has had one in it for
years and you can get the diodes at Radio Shack (1N34 or 1N34A) it really
doesnt matter as long as they are germaniums.

I have had and used my HW-101 for 22 years now and always tweaked it up
with just a VTVM and the RF probe.   In fact the HW-101 is the only big rig
I own all the rest are QRP CW.

The best way to replace the finals is to neutralize using the method
described in the service bulletins, I have used the method in the manual
(peak output and min plate current) and then gone back and done it per the
service bulletin (plate and screen voltage disconnected and using a RF
probe on the output) and found you get a much better neutralization

I suggest you go to the Heath List archives or this page

http://members.accessus.net/~dwentz/kb9jja/heathkit/

and find the service notes on the HW-101/ SB-100 series rigs they are all
basically the same with only a few more bells and whistles on the SB-100
series.

Steve Ray    K4JPN   ex K1VKW   HW-101, HW-8,
SWL 30-40, Pixie II, NC 38S, OHR 100A 30 M and Heath Kit fan

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH