Looking for.

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Sun Apr 26 00:01:05 EDT 1998

Hello All:

Unless I have been out the scene for two long, I remember 11 Megohm input
inpedance being typical of VTVM's, and 10 Megohms fro DVM's when they first
appeared. Why the difference, was my question, and I was told, adda 1 meg R in
the testlead, as apparently that was pretty common.

The other notable thing was that the input impedance (we should probably say
resistance to be safe, as I don't know if it was constant on AC ranges) was
constant without regard to voltage range, whereas the passive multimeters
(i.e., Simpson 260, et al) were voltage- range-dependent, with input
resistances spec'ed as ohms/volt. A good rating back then was 20kohm/volt.
There were some oddball ones I remember RS carrying with 50-100k o/V if I
remember right, due to recognition of th ebenefits of hi impedance.

Then along came the 'disposable' DVM/DMM in the $10-20 range. Who knows why,
but some of these are 1 M input. Maybe it's because the companies making them
have no clue what they're used for and build them by recipe.

Well, no one asked anyway, but I guess it's too late at this point...

Murray

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH