IM-36 Transistor Checker

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Fri Aug 14 23:07:45 EDT 1998

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Allan D. Fritsche wrote:

> Hello Heath Green, Found a IM-36 Transistor Checker today....
> Man, What a bunch of knobs and levers...Looks like a tube testor.
>
> At any rate, there was a sticker on the unit that said that the batteries
> had been replaced in 1987... Well this is 1998 and sure enought
> the battery compartment is gone to you no what....
>
> My question is should I restore this guy or just strip it for parts...
>  Don't have a manual of course.....

        Restore it.  These are great static testers, one of the few
running around that will test leakage currents.  I got an IM-30 last
year that had the same problem with the battery compartment.  Disassemble
it, take off as much of the corrosion as you can with a stiff wire brush
(and perhaps a wire wheel on a Dremel tool), then wipe it all down with a
solution of baking soda to neutralize any remaining acid.  When dry, wipe
down with engine oil (not WD-40), then wipe clean and reassemble.

        It's worth the trouble.

        I got a manual by posting a wanted ad on the group.

     ,----------------------.       Circuit Design for the
    /    What's all this     \            RF Impaired
   / extinct stuff, anyhow?  /
   \  _______,--------------'        Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                               Principal Engineer
 oo\                                 ATG Design Services
(__)\       _                          P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                  Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                     Technical Editor,
     .       (  ) \                      QRP Quarterly
      '-| )__| :.  \                     QRP ARCI 9464
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__      Email:  ctrask at primenet.com
                               http://www.primenet.com/~ctrask

                    Graphics by Loek Frederiks

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov