Problem with ID-5001 Weather Station Display

Robert S. Capon RobCap at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 3 21:52:55 EST 1998

Calling all weather station experts!

I've just completed construction of my ID-5001 weather station, which was the
most difficult kit that I've ever assembled.  Everything works, except for a
few segments on the display.

Problem description:  The missing segments are all in the date display.  The
segments are DG8b, DG8c, DG9 (all segments) and DG10 (all segments).  This
equates to the segments that make up the number "1" in the second digit of the
month, and all of the segments of the day of the month.  For example, "11-12"
looks like "1 -  ".

I believe the problem is a display problem, because these segments are missing
on the low level display test.  Further, I set the time to 23:59 p.m. on the
last day of the month, and the month indicator rolls over to the next month.
This suggests to me that the date logic is working ok.

I'm totally confused by the troubleshooting description, and am having trouble
deciphering the cryptic explanation of backplane, IC and pin numbers.  But I
have a sense that they're grouped in a way that will narrow the problem down
to a small part of the display board circuit.

I would appreciate any ideas that anyone would have.

Thanks for the help.

73,

Rob, W3DX

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov