SB-230 (aka SB-614)

Terry Perdue terryp at HALCYON.COM
Thu Dec 3 23:52:31 EST 1998

>Question:

>Is the case itself on RF xistors actually BeO, or just the die mount to a
>stud or plate 'leadframe' (for lack of another term) ? It seems wasteful
and
>ineffective to use BeO for the case if the ceramic part of the package
>itself isn't a mounting interface to a heat sink.

Murray, Steve, all...

It looks like I've been wrong all these years to think that the ceramic tops
on power transistors were made of BeO. When I was working for a 2-way shop
in the 70's, I read a cautionary notice from Motorola, basically stating
that one should resist the temptation to grind the top off defective RF
power transistors because it would produce toxic BeO dust. I don't remember
the exact wording, but I was certainly left with the impression that the
outside casing was BeO. Thanks for setting me straight.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH