Tomorrow's Heathkit

duard swain iii deeswain at WASHINGTONNC.COM
Thu Dec 24 16:15:30 EST 1998

Well, not to get into arguements, but I have about 50 Heathkit's
as well as KWM-2A with Accs and TR4 with Accs. I am still using
the SB-102 with ALL accs made for it after almost 29 years.
The Heath stuff still sells for a greater percentage of it's orginal
price. An AT-1 is on E-bay right now at $ 107.95. Last SB-640 I saw
advertised was $ 150.00. SB-200 sells at about twice it's orginal price.
I just like the old Heath stuff because I can keep it running.
Ever try to fix micro-processor based SWAN ASTRO 150 was it? Cubic
had no documentation on program in PROM chip. I damned sure could not
fix it and could not find anyone else that could either, so in the
trash.
I have found the Heath Documentation to be better than Drake or Collins.
It surely served the purpose it was meant for. Anyone who could design
and document a state of the art SSB transceiver kit that any old fool
could put together, align and adjust with practically no equipment has
made a tremendous accomplishment. I don't
even have to use a microscope to work on it. I don't even have to work
on it very
often. Just sit back on cold winter nights by the warm glow of the
hollow-state
devices. Love it.
Merry Christmas All,
Dee Swain  WR4Q