Concern for one of our own

Daniel T Ruth heathkit at JUNO.COM
Fri Dec 25 13:24:20 EST 1998

Here's a story that I'm determined to have end with a happy ending.

In late November, you all might remember that I had a flurry of offerings
(one of those was titled "2 1/2 HD-1410s!).  All of the items were
attractively priced and sold immediately.  Well anyway, one item - the
unmarked SB-110A (6 Meter rig) manual was "won" by Dan Furguson
(df at mnsinc.com).  But in the numerous responses I received, one gentleman
in particular laid out a story that got my attention.  He currently had a
SB-110A that needed attention and he yearned for a manual to help him see
the project through.  (BTW, Dan didn't have a SB-110A, but he lusted
after one and thought that acquiring the manual was a wise first step).

I informed Dan of this gentleman's predicament and asked Dan if he would
forfeit his "winner's position" to someone who was in need NOW.  Dan, to
his credit, agreed that this would be a kind gesture to a fellow
(Heathkit) ham.  I informed the other interested party that he would now
receive the manual and that this arrangement came about through the
cooperative spirits of "2 Dans".  The gentleman responded kindly and
appreciatively and said that as soon as he got it he would make a c**y
for the other Dan.  As is my usual habit, I mail the merchandise quickly
and trusted that payment would be forthcoming (no comments here, please).

Well, TMALSS (to make a long story short), here it is Christmas, and
after supposedly attempting to send me TWO payments, I've received
nothing.  At first, I admit, I was angry, but now I'm wondering if
something dire has happened to this gentleman, but I can't reach him
because his phone number is unlisted (and my Emails are now going
unanswered).

So, I was wondering if there's anybody on the list who lives in or near
Jacksonville, FL (especially near India Street).  If possible I would
like to have someone check on this ham who may have fallen into some bad
fortune (be it health related or financially related).  If he has run
into some kind of problem, he may keep the manual.  I'll just be happy
knowing that Dan Ferguson and I tried to make another ham happy.

Any Jacksonville, Florida Heathkit'ers reading this??  If so, Email me
and I'll give you the particulars.  I didn't think it right to expose the
ham's name here; I don't yet know "the rest of the story".

Merry Christmas, Danny W3ZF  heathkit at juno.com

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH